Saturday, June 22, 2013

Aromas - A Link between the Sublime and the Mundane

Perhaps since the beginning of time itself humans have been enamored by the olfactory sense realm. In fact, our sense of smell is probably the most important and simultaneously underrated of our senses. Whether we are consciously aware of it, aromas and odors have a profound impact upon our moods, behaviors and are the sense most closely tied to memory and recall. 

You may ask, what's the big stink over smells (pardon the pun)? Well, in my own practice, incense and essential oils have played a huge role in "setting the mood" for meditation or simply serving as a reminder of the sublime. In the next several installments I would like to spend sme time discussing how I, personally, have used essential oils (some of my favorites are sandalwood, cedar, and rose), waters, incenses and wod chips (such as the palo santo I discovered on a trip to Ecuador) as well as their traditional and New Age uses. Please join me in this exploration and I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment